On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 9:57 AM, Grant Slater
<openstreet...@firefishy.com>wrote:

> On 25 August 2011 16:23, 80n <80n...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Grant
> > It's an OSM mapping party.  Are you going to come along?
> >

> Great. What brought on the change of heart?

You misunderstand.  There is no change of heart.  Anything contributed to
OSM automatically gets fed into fosm.org so both projects benefit.  While I
don't personally contribute to OSM any more, I don't have a problem with you
or anyone else contributing to OSM.

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out in a mapping party.  At the
last Surrey meetup there were both OSMers and fosmers, we all get along well
and so I'm not expecting there to be any issues.  There are very few people
with the entrenched mindset that there should only be one map and that all
other mapping projects are inherently hostile competitors.  It's not like
that at all.

Actually, I'm expecting that there will be attendees with several different
agendas.  Large parts of Surrey are not ODbL so at one end of the scale I'd
expect some people to want to remap existing CC-BY-SA content.

There are also some people who want to create a CC0 map.  There's been talk
of creating a clean unencumbered dataset for this area that can then be fed
into OSM or used for any other purpose.  That might play out as well at this
mapping party.

None of these things get in the way of getting out into the beautiful Surrey
Hills doing what we all like doing the most.

> Sure, it could be fun... I'll bring some OSM promo material.

It is always a lot of fun.  Did I mention that Shere is one of Surrey's
prettiest villages, or that the Olympic Cycle Road Race route runs through
the area.  It's a great area for walking and cycling, and a fine place to
spend a day out.

80n