To: d...@openstreetmap.org
From: Richard Fairhurst <rich...@systemed.net>
Date: 01/12/2011 01:42PM
Subject: Re: [OSM-dev] speeding up loading an OSM dump into PostGIS?

Nick Whitelegg wrote:
> It's certainly something that should be striven for as I suspect that
> financial constraints are much more of an issue for the OSM
> community than know-how

Developer availability is more of an issue than either. You've been around
here long enough to know that "should be striven for" doesn't fix anything.
:)

Kai seems to be doing a terrific job of solving the osm2pgsql side of
things, which just leaves the rendering.

Fortunately, we have the ultimate solution to "a custom rendering server
needs to be able to run on low-spec hardware", which is client-side
rendering: Kothic-JS.

How do you fancy writing a single page of wiki docs explaining how to get
osm2pgsql and Kothic-JS up and running?

Source material:
https://github.com/kothic/kothic-js/wiki/Tiles-format
https://github.com/kothic/kothic-js/wiki/How-to-prepare-map-style