On 11/12/11 11:26, Borbus wrote:
First of all, when I say import I mean a manual import: reprojection of
OS shapefiles, conversion to OSM data and careful processing in JOSM
before uploading.

I'd really like to get all the water features from OS into OSM.  It's
very useful data and also makes maps prettier.  It's quite a laborious
task, though, as the data requires manual creation of multipolygons and
of course merging with any water features we already have.

I have already done a small amount here:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=52.6006&lon=1.6362&zoom=13&layers=M
Although I have not joined together all gaps, just some gaps where a way
crosses it and it is obviously a conduit.

Now I have split the Vectormap square TG into smaller chunks which I
plan to process one by one and upload.  The amount of data in just this
square is quite large, but it's still probably less than half of Norfolk.

Have any large scale imports from this dataset already been done?

Do people think this is a good idea?  Any suggestions regarding the process?

Happy mapping,

Borbus.

Plenty of those responding seem to be saying "good idea in principle, but huge amount of effort required". Just to add my voice to this line and to provide a bit of experience.

Before I left the Environment Agency about three years ago I was involved in a project to do something a bit like this. The source data was different (Master Map) and the ambition for output was in some ways more modest (centreline only required), but it had to be (a) as comprehensive as possible including all the MasterMap features and (b) had to be topologically complete with no gaps etc. A lot of money was spent on the project and we were constantly having to re-draft budgets and time-scales as it became clear just how big a job this was going to be. The local knowledge (an important requirement as emphasised by many here) was provided by Agency Area staff who are familiar with the river network in their area.

The project was completed after I left, as a result of which the Agency does now have a good centreline river network (described along with other Agency datasets here <http://publications.environment-agency.gov.uk/PDF/GEHO1210BTHN-E-E.pdf> ) but this took several years and considerable internal and consultancy human resource to compile. I think that at least some aspects of the detailed methodology used have been published. I will look into this and if I find it, will post links to this list.

I know that we have an army of enthusiastic volunteers, which can to some extent substitute for money and paid GIS technicians, but to be really comprehensive in this type of mapping requires access to many miles of water features which run through private land and cannot therefore be ground-truthed with the GPS-in-my-hand methodology.

In my local area (North East Wales) I have contributed to OSM data on roads, cycleways, footpaths and boundaries. I am not sure whether I would feel able to systematically improve much on the water features which I see in current OSM data - minor amendments in some easily accessible areas would be the best I could do. I would not feel comfortable importing features from OS Vector data which I would never be able to get around to seeing on the ground.

Bogus Zaba