---
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:United_Kingdom_Tagging_Guidelines#JOSM_presets_now_available
>

> Comments on these presets and how they might be improved are welcome!
>
>I may have not been reading this list thoroughly but I did not realise
>that highway=path is a "vexed issue". I have been tagging rural
>footpaths this way for some time, while I have used highway=footway for
>more urban footways. I see from the table in the wiki which you link to
>above (labelled Presets 0.7 (2012-01-29)) that none of these
>recommendations include a highway=path tag. Should I therefore re-tag my
>paths according to your table?

This is a somewhat contentious issue, but all I can say is that this is
precisely what I do and several others.
Remember to also use the designation tag to specify the rights, public_footpath
/ public_bridleway / byway_open_to_all_traffic etc.
highway is generally taken to indicate the physical condition of the way, e.g.
highway=track if it's a track rather than a path.

Nick