On 15 May 2012 23:32, <rob.j.nicker...@gmail.com> wrote:

> As I am not a regular cyclist I must admit that I don't pay much attention
> to these signs. So my question is do Local Authorities use the cycle and
> foot signs (segregated or otherwise) and reserve the cycle sign for cases
> where traffic regulation prevents foot access (in which case foot=no would
> be correct), or is use mixed?
>
> Cheers,
> Rob

Unless it's been recently changed..... the Cycle Only sign could never
prohibit 'pedestrian access' because use of the sign is defined by the
Department for Transports "Traffic Signs Manual (chapter 3) [1].

The DFT guidance confirms the signs can be used for routes where cycles can
travel and all other vehicular traffic is prohibited. Therefore this sign
must not be used to prohibit pedestrian access. The Manual also points out
usefulness of a convenient footway or footpath to lure pedestrians away
from this intended 'cycle only' way.

Jason

[1] http://www.dft.gov.uk/publications/traffic-signs-manual/