Chris,

I fully agree with these points. I've done a reasonable amount of mapping in
Sittingbourne, but my mapping tends to be centred around highways rather
than landuse or buildings. I have updated some similar tagging to what you
describe on schools in the past such that the buildings are tagged with
building=school and the extent of their grounds is tagged with
amenity=school, rather than the previous building=yes + amenity=school on
the same buildings.

I believe that lots of the buildings have been derived from automated
OS_OpenData_StreetView tracing by OSM user SemanticTourist. That probably
explains why they appear to cover multiple actual buildings in reality and
that they shape doesn't always correspond terribly well to the crisper
buildings you can see in the Bing imagery there. You may have noticed that
the building coverage actually spreads beyond just Sittingbourne to quite a
sizable chunk of Swale borough centred on the town.

Thanks for the work you've done here so far. As far as I'm concerned as a
local mapper feel free to update the problematic tagging as you've
described. I'll probably be able to help out eventually, but am currently
concentrating on getting widespread maxspeed coverage in the eastern half of
Kent and would prefer to get this essentially complete before starting
another large mapping challenge.

Gregory