SK53 wrote:
> I'd be interested in what others think (these council based refs do
> appear elsewhere in the country: I can't recall ever seeing one on
> a road sign).

I agree very, very strongly that unsignposted C-road numbers (or U, or D, or
E, or whatever) should not be placed in the ref tag. It breaks people's
expectations of OSM data (and it's not a harmless breakage - any
turn-by-turn router which prefers refs over names will give out unfollowable
directions).

When Paul says

> However, isn't the issue more about the renderers and routing
> rules knowing that C-number roads are never signposted?

then I see his point, but I don't believe it's realistic for us to demand
that this UK-specific rule is implemented in every worldwide renderer and
router. Better, and just as easy, to use another tag. Personally I use
admin_ref but would be just as happy with official:ref.

cheers
Richard