On 22/04/13 14:44, David Fisher wrote:

I've noticed a couple of roads in the UK being downgraded in OSM from
"trunk" to "primary" on the basis that they are not "trunk" in the
County Council / DfT maintenance sense.  They are, however, "green-sign"
primary routes and are clearly of greater importance than your average
"white-sign" route.  The ones I've noticed are the A354
(Salisbury-Blandford) and A22 (Greater London boundary to E Grinstead).
Strictly speaking these changes are correct, as "trunk" in the UK
implies being run by the DfT rather than local councils (N.B. a large
number of former trunk routes have been devolved in the past 10 or 20
years).  But the OSM Wiki says to use the "trunk" tag for "primary A
road (green signs)", and this would certainly make more sense from the
road-user perspective.  Is there a consensus on this?  If not, might it
be a good idea to introduce a new tag signifying a UK "green-sign"
route, and for these to be rendered as such in Mapnik (i.e. in green,
the same as "trunk" routes)?

Yes, there has been a consensus for at least the last six and a bit years now that "trunk" in the OSM sense means green signed primary A road and "primary" means white signed secondary A road.

Which is why the wiki says what it does.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (t...@compton.nu)
http://compton.nu/