On 07/08/2013 01:00 PM, Adam Hoyle wrote:
On 8 Jul 2013, at 11:31, Lester Caine <les...@lsces.co.uk> wrote:

Adam Hoyle wrote:
This would be awesome information to have in OSM, but as it is historic
information, sometimes with no obvious above ground visualisation, is it
definitely appropriate for the project? (Personally I hope it is, but wanted to
see what the consensus is).
OHM has been set up exactly to support this type of data ;)
But it looks a little empty at presnet :(
http://www.openhistoricalmap.org/
Wow, I didn't realise such a thing existed - looks potentially rather awesome,
although I agree it is slightly empty right now.

What's the background / roadmap / plan with it? Is it 'owned' by OSM, or an
offshoot?

Best,

Adam

I believe that a lot of volunteers in this area work with their local Historical Environment Record (HER - usually maintained by Local Authority) which is generally maintained as a database with added GIS links (increasingly well integrated). An initially minimal set of the data from these HERs is being nationally made available via the national Heritage Gateway website (http://www.heritagegateway.org.uk). An example of the sort of result you can get through searching this site for "hillfort" is here :
http://www.heritagegateway.org.uk/Gateway/Results_Single.aspx?uid=1002662&resourceID=5.

Not sure if OSM volunteers really want to duplicate this effort, but it may be possible to obtain some of the mapping data from those who have compiled it for the HERs?

Bogus