On 7 September 2013 14:36,  <les...@lsces.co.uk> wrote:
> Sent from my android device so the quoting is crapp!

In practice, there is only one renderer for general users, and my
impression is that that doesn't have that much deep understanding, so
relies on conventional mapping abstractions and a lot of user provided
rules.

Although technical users may use special renderers for special tasks,
to be generally useful, the map has to provide as much useful
information to the user as possible using a relatively simple minded
renderer.

(I did actually chance on a paper discussion how Mapnik's placing and
selection of labels is far from ideal, which is probably one of the
more difficult things that it actually tries to do.)

The maps also have to work with mappers who don't understand the
difference between the rendered map and the internal representation,
so will not provide the rich metadata needed for an intelligent
renderer (as mentioned on another thread, they will load the map with
footpaths and car parks, but not add the access=* tags needed to
distinguish between those that can and cannot be used).

If a render tries to get too clever on data that doesn't have
consistent and rich meta-data, it is likely to guess wrong and
introduce artefacts as a result.  That's OK if the result will be
cleaned up by a human, the machines will have done a lot of let work,
but that is not the case here.