OpenStreetmap HADW wrote:
A couple of days ago, I walked a footpath, which turned out, along
with the preceding private road, to be a PROW on foot.  As I wanted to
detail map it to show steps, I first calibrated Bing against OS
StreetView

When using any OS data it's important to be certain of the method used
for the datum conversion.  If it's not using the OSTN02 table-driven
conversion you should expect to see offsets.  The OS documentation says
that the less-accurate method is OK for up to +/- 5m, but my experience
is that the offset can be greater than that, e.g. up to about 20m.
If you ever see offsets of this magnitude in anything that has touched
OS grid references or OSGB36 datum, be suspicious!

(As an example, http://hills-database.co.uk/ *deliberately* uses the
less-accurate conversion because they claim that GPS devices will
typically use the less-accurate conversion back to WGS84 when you
enter a grid reference.  As a consequence, if you display their
summit positions on a not-reprojected OS map, they will be in the
wrong places.)

Cheers,  Phil.