David Fisher wrote:
(P.S. and as a local, I can confirm that no ways are actually named "Vanguard Way" on the ground, at least not in the Croydon area)

Thanks for that. It's something that happens fairly regularly around my patch too - people add the name of the long distance route to the name of the road because they're not familiar with http://hiking.waymarkedtrails.org/en/?zoom=13&lat=50.88363&lon=0.1946&hill=0 and other similar maps, or because it's not easy to find out if there's a relation to add the way to, or because they're new to OSM and have no idea what a relation is yet (which is fair enough - you wouldn't teach someone learning a foreign language all the irregular verbs first).

Perhaps someone (or more than one) could get in touch with them with a bit of an explanation? It looks like the Vanguard Way website uses OS maps, and the ways that form part of it in OSM haven't all been surveyed for e.g. surface, gates and stiles, and that sort of thing.

Someone will then have to do a bit of a tidy, including removing the name and website from all those footpaths and roads where it doesn't really belong.

Cheers,

Andy