I met Richard Rodger who is leading the MESH project at Edinburgh
University. Addresses in central Edinburgh have changed so little in 200
years that they are able to use OSM to map where attorneys were located in
the middle of the 19th Century. The historical addresses were acquired from
Business Directories. And MESH is the reason why these particular maps have
been done. There is a link to the project there.

I dont think there is that much detailed information available yet, but it
looks to be shaping up to be both a fascinating project and a classic
example of how OSM data can be used for purposes very different from what
one might expect.

Jerry