On 01/11/2014 20:08, Matthijs Melissen wrote:
I in fact even proposed incorporating a system that makes this
explicit in the notes API:
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk/2014-August/070423.html
Unfortunately, my suggestion in that thread didn't gain traction.

It's great to have an idea, but it still needs the magic development pixies to do something to turn it into reality :-)

Until such point as that happens, I think that it's definitely worth "overdoing" the contents of notes rather than "underdoing" it. It might feel boring writing the same text every time (but cut-and-paste is cheap, of course), but someone coming across just one note won't be aware of the context.

Hyperlinks from notes work, so I'd:

o hyperlink the OSM item that is in question

o hyperlink the analysis that showed that this value might be an outlier (either on this list, or on a wiki page, or somewhere else)

o hyperlink the current state of usage of a particular name or tag in taginfo (which may change before the note is actioned, of course)

o make it clear that the "correct" value for the item is what is found from survey, and that you've added a note because a previous survey may have made a mistake (or a company has changed its branding nationally).

Cheers,

Andy