There seem to be quite a few GB motorways in OSM with names, and some of those names don't look very plausible. For example, there's:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/37906957

This is the M4 past Heathrow and apparently it is named the "Chiswick to Langley Special Road". That name seems to originate here:

http://www.ciht.org.uk/motorway/m4chisslou.htm

It's possible that this name was used as a description of the original development project, but I've never heard it used as an actual _name_ for this section of M4.

According to "musical chairs", the local authority don't think that it has a name either:

http://ris.dev.openstreetmap.org/oslmusicalchairs/map?osl_id=846864

There's a similar issue a bit further out, the "Slough-Maidenhead By-Pass":

http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/81517663
http://ris.dev.openstreetmap.org/oslmusicalchairs/map?osl_id=18177

Again that sounds like a description; I've never seen that sign on the M4.

The M27 is allegedly the "South Coast Motorway"

http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/77680006
http://ris.dev.openstreetmap.org/oslmusicalchairs/map?osl_id=17958

It certainly didn't have signs up saying that the last time that I was there.

A welsh stretch of M4 is apparently named "Mr":

http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/24272190/history

Obviously some names ARE in common use:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/2287

(and a selection of bridges, and also bits of A1M could plausibly still be thought of as "Great North Road").

The overpass query, by the way, is:

http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/67B

I'm sure there are others out there that I haven't found yet.

Can anyone think of a valid source for "Chiswick to Langley Special Road", "Slough-Maidenhead By-Pass", "South Coast Motorway", or "Mr" as names? If not (and if people agree) I'll change the relevant "name" tag to "description" (so that nothing gets lost - except for "Mr" which is surely just a typo). If any is in any sense a valid name but isn't signed I can set "name:signed=no" as per http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/32826117 so that at least data consumers can filter out "not-real" names.

Cheers,

Andy