On 01/12/14 11:39, Stuart Reynolds wrote:

road, which is Sherwood Drive. There is also a footpath shown coming
from the station and along the eastern side of Sherwood Drive, but not
on the western side.

I think it can be difficult to justify undoing micro-mappings, like this, even though they clutter the standard rendering and can be confusing. That's because they generally do add real information.

This feels very wrong to me on a number of levels. For starters, the
footpath doesn’t connect to Sherwood Drive except at the bottom, so it
isn’t apparent that you can cross the road to go along Selwyn Grove, for

I think this is a special case of a general problem with pedestrian routing that, in the absence of barriers, there can be an infinity of potential crossover points, not just between explicit sidewalks, but also between roads and adjacent fields or pedestrian squares. I haven't seen the adjacent tag before, but I don't think just yes or no would be enough.

example. Also, there is no footpath going north, nor is there a footpath
on the western side of Sherwood Drive, despite it being quite clearly
there on Streetview. In addition, Sherwood Drive already has the tag

OS StreetView suppresses all footpaths!  Google Streetview is inadmissible.

Micro-mapping has to stop somewhere, and, if the sidewalk on the other side is straightforward, it might be the best place to stop.

Sidewalk=both which rather makes the footpath redundant, doesn’t it?

sidewalk=both is wrong, but that should be fixed by correcting the sidewalk tag.