On Sun, 2014-12-21 at 14:39 +0000, David Woolley wrote:
> On 21/12/14 13:56, SK53 wrote:
> >
> > There are still one or two unharmonised tags for bookmakers: I moved a
> > few amenity=bookmaker to shop=bookmaker the other day. At least one was
> > one I created & I'm pretty sure it was because I copied the tags from a
> > pharmacy node which already had relevant address tags and then failed to
> > change amenity to shop. This implies another possible tagging error mode
> > which it's worth checking for.
>
> In my view, they are not really bookmakers.  For fixed odds, bookmaking
> requires no skill and for the horses, I imagine that all the bookmaking
> is done at head office.
+1

I think that is true of all of the big chains, they are better tagged as
shop=betting and leave the tag shop=bookmakers for proper bookmakers
where you can go in and speak to a skilled bookmaker.

A point I made in the original thread on @tagging, and something I did
survey at the time, the word bookmaker does not appear on Ladbrookes,
Coral and the like.

Phil