This came up in discussions at the Edinburgh pub Meetup last night, and
those there (quite a few of the prominent mappers in Scotland) agreed that
eg U1234 should be on either admin_ref or official_ref (whichever was most
popular) And not on the main ref tag.

Also perhaps a case for not rendering references on residential roads? But
the issue with routing engines directing onto unsigned road references
meant we felt it was more than just a rendering issue.

Donald

On Wednesday, March 18, 2015, Dan S <danstowell+...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > On Wed Mar 18 15:38:13 2015 GMT, Pmailkeey . wrote:
> >> >
> >> U-numbers are used publicly - most often on temporary planning
> development
> >> notices attached to street lights etc.
> >>
> > If they are not signed, then they do not belong in the ref tag.
> >
> > The consensus is that such information belongs in an admin_ref tag, a
> sat nav instruction to 'turn left into the U666' is very unhelpful.
>
> Can you point us to some further reading about this "admin_ref" tag?
> The wiki isn't telling me about it. If there is indeed a consensus
> then it'd be nice for it to be documented!
>
> Dan

Donald Noble
http://drnoble.co.uk - http://flickr.com/photos/drnoble