On 05/09/15 11:47, Andy Townsend wrote:
the train management system on the ECML was being changed to something*
that would register in-cab speeds in km/h.

I suspect that most of the visible signs are redundant and it is the electronic system that is the only thing that can carry any weight.

Unfortunately, the electronic system values are not visible to the general public, so don't meet the "what's on the ground" criteria.

On the other hand, railways tend to attract the sort of level of enthusiasm that tends to result in ineligible sources being used, because people are more concerned that the information be mapped than that the source be copyright compatible.

If they have simply converted the signs, I would say that is wrong, unless there is an official document that specifies the algorithm to be used. I would have thought any algorithm would need to round down, in case existing limits only just fitted with safety, so 100mph, would need to be 160 km/h, not 161. (It's unlikely limits are cut this close, but if you start allowing it once, you can end up with errors accumulating.)

I've just read the latest update. I would say "better interpretable format" is wrong. It is destroying information, even if it is only 66 m/h in this case.