>On 24/09/2015 18:41, Phil Endecott wrote:
>> You could easily trace building outlines from this
>
>This looks excellent, but being inherently lazy, is there any software
>to convert what I assume are pixels outlines into vectors?
>
>It would save a *lot* of tracing. (Caveat: I'm not advocating  mass import)
>
>Dave F.

The New York public library's building inspector tool [1] has a solution
for converting raster outlines of buildings to vectors. It works pretty
well but for me the biggest drawback was that it detected the inside of
buildings up to the inside edge of the walls and as such it was leaving
gaps (the thickness of the wall) between terraced buildings.

I was hoping that the chap behind Strava's slide tool [2] could improve the
results (of the NYPL building inspector tool) by applying the "valley"
approach of his algorithm to the blackness of the pixels on the raster map.
He had a go one weekend but to no success. I wonder whether this dataset
would be more suited (it seems to be perfectly suited to the "valley"
algorithm!!). It would require a starting point so some vectorisation
similar to the NYPL tool would still be needed. I wonder whether the right
approach would be to extract the data straight from the LIDAR data rather
than processing it to a raster image then doing edge detection on the
raster.

All the strava slide code is open if anyone wants to have a play [3].

Best regards,
Rob

[1] http://buildinginspector.nypl.org/
[2] http://labs.strava.com/slide/