>There has been a discussion on the tagging mailing list triggered by
>Gerd Petermann having made a mechanical edit to some traffic calming
>features.

Thanks Chris,

To summarise for those who don't want to get stuck in the tagging mailing
list, Gerd spotted that traffic calming (speed bumps, etc) was tagged in
different ways:

1. highway=traffic_calming
2. highway=traffic_calming + traffic_calming=*
3. traffic_calming=*

It looks like highway=traffic_calming (which was only used ~1000 times vs
traffic_calming=*'s ~200,000 times) has never been a suggested tag on the
wiki. As such Gerd made the following changes to the three cases above:

1. Replaced with traffic_calming=yes
2. Keep just traffic_calming=*
3. No change

The edit included a review of all nodes and extra detail was added on a
case by case basis if required (e.g. crossing details is it is also a
pedestrian crossing).

Quite frankly I don't really care. The tag was hardly used so if Gerd wants
to get rid of it completely and has time to do this then fine by me. On the
flip side the tag is not incorrect (just not documented or supported by
many people) so why waste time to remove it. Given that Gerd took the time
to manually review each one before changing it and made improvements in
some cases, I would have been quite happy to let this slide - we have
bigger issues to be discussing.

Question: Is the discussion of this more wasteful (time) and harmful
(negative impression of the community) than the original edit?

*Rob*