On 16 December 2015 at 15:36, Bob Hawkins <bobhawk...@waitrose.com> wrote:

> I am a retired cartographer who enjoys extending his connection with and love
> of mapping by contributing to OpenStreetMap (OSM).  My current project is to
> improve Public Rights of Way (PROW) attributes and add their PROW and
> Chiltern Society references to ways in OSM.  I am concentrating on
> Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire because that is my geographical area.  Their
> local authorities make available downloads of their Public Rights of Way and
> I have Ordnance Survey OpenData civil parish boundary data, too.  It would be
> most useful to have a digital boundary of the Chilterns AONB.  I have
> searched the internet and cannot find such a file to download.  I
> communicated with Lucy Murfett, Planning Officer at Chilterns Conservation
> Board and received this reply:

I think GIS data for AONB boundaries can be obtained from
http://www.gis.naturalengland.org.uk/ . However, the licence for the
data appears to be based on an old version of the Open Government
Licence (OGL), with an OS-OpenData-Licence style variation insisting
on stronger downstream attribution that OSM can guarantee. IMO this
means we can't use those datasets in OSM at the moment.

However, the reason Natural England have used that licence is almost
certainly because of requirements placed on them by Ordnance Survey.
Ordnance Survey have recently changed for using a customised version
of the OGL to using the OGL version 3.0 un-modified. Thus Natural
England should be able to do the same, at which point we'd be able to
make use of their data sets.

Robert.

--
Robert Whittaker