On Fri Feb 26 11:23:34 2016 GMT, David Woolley wrote:
> On 25/02/16 17:04, Nick Whitelegg wrote:
> >

> > User can also enter relevant POIs like stiles, gates etc when they are
> > encountered.
> >

> > When user returns home, track simplification algorithm used to make a
> > way from the GPX trace and tags it with the tags equivalent to the ROW type.
> >

> > User downloads data from OSM and algorithms are used to auto-join the
> > user's new ways to existing ways where appropriate (or alternatively,
> > the user does this manually)
>
> This might have been a good idea in the early days, when most mapping
> used GPS and most mapping was onto an empty map.  These days, I think it
> would just cause problems as it would probably delay the proper
> association of the GPS tracks with, more accurate, aerial imagery data,
> and would not properly account for features that had already been
> mapped, but possibly on a different, or more accurate datum.

PROW mapping still requires good gps traces, such mapping simply cannot be done
using aerial imagery alone.

Whilst my experienced countryside eye can spot a gate used by farm vehicles,
there is no way to tell if a hedge/fence crossing in a stile,  gate or kissing
gate without an on the ground survey.

Any tools which help mapping these can only be a good thing.

Phil (trigpoint)
--
Sent from my Jolla