This quarter's Healthcare project doesn't seem to have got as much
traction as the Schools one. Possibly due to the fact that there's
isn't a single obvious data-source to employ, and there's little scope
for arm-chair mapping.

I posted previously about a comparison tool I built for defibrillators
at http://robert.mathmos.net/osm/defib/progress/ similar to the one I
made previously for schools [1]. The data comes from the Easter
Ambulance Service, and theirs is the only dataset I could find in a
useful format. I've made FOI requests to a couple of other Ambulance
trusts [2],[3], but they haven't got back to me yet.

I've recently noticed that the General Pharmaceutical Council publish
a list of registered pharmacies. I think this list should be complete
(i.e. any dispensing pharmacy in Great Britain must be registered) so
I've built a similar tool at
http://robert.mathmos.net/osm/pharmacy/progress/ . (There's a similar
Register for Northern Ireland, but the complete list isn't published.)

I've asked for permission to re-use the information in the list to
help improve OSM [4], but haven't had a response yet. I don't think
any permission is needed to run the comparison, but it would be needed
to use the information directly in OSM. (e.g. adding registration
numbers, and using the address information). However, the tool can
still be used at the moment to indicated possible places to survey.

A few initial observations and tagging questions:

1/ I think it's interesting how relatively uniform our coverage of
pharmacies is.

2/ There are a lot of pharmacies within supermarkets that aren't
currently tagged in any way. Currently the tool will pick up
pharamacy=yes, but I'm open to other options is there's a better way
of adding this information to e.g. a shop=supermarket.

3/ There seem to be a number shops (particularly Superdrug stores)
tagged as amenity=pharmacy that aren't on the register. I presume
these are chemist / drug-store type outlets that do not have
dispensing pharmacies. Do we want to agree on whether these should be
tagged as shop=chemist or amenity=pharmacy + dispensing=no ?

4/ Should stores like larger Boots (which have a lot more besides the
pharmacy counter and off-the-shelf medicines) be tagged as
amenity=pharamcy or shop=chemist + pharmacy=yes, or something else, or
should it depend on the individual store?

Best wishes,

Robert.

[1] http://robert.mathmos.net/osm/schools/progress/
[2] https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/public_access_defibrillator_loca