OK, thanks for your help on this. I’ve ended up with a combination that seemed
most sensible:

 - the two car parks I have tagged with removed:amenity and removed:parking,
because they are gone.
 - Norman Street (and the gyratory roads around the car parks) I have tagged
with access=no, but not added any removed tags yet. The roads are only just
shut, and I imagine that they won’t be “removed” for a while yet. I will add
removed tags later. These roads are going, and never coming back.
 - Oxford Street I have added “motor_vehicle=no” because this is still open to
pedestrians, and will be retained when the development has finished.

Thanks.

Regards,
Stuart Reynolds
for traveline south east & anglia