I have just been listening to Rory McCann talking about mapping Irish
Townlands and the challenges they faced obtaining the data and tracing
it from historic OS maps. The townlands are admin_level=10 relations,
the same level as our civil parishes.

Its a lot easier in the UK, we have a source of open data in OS
Opendata Boundary Lines so I feel that this would be a relatively
simple armchair, or at least swivel chair, project for those dark
winter nights.

They are an important level, our lowest level of Parish/Town councils
use these boundaries, they are used in planning and are uselful when
reporting issues with rights of way, in many counties path numbers
change at the boundary.

Phil (trigpoint)