On Sun, 2017-03-12 at 10:50 +0000, Adam Snape wrote:
> How should we tag a situation where there are different
> adjacent barriers affecting different users of a highway? These are
> often used where there is some public access but public vehicular use
> ifs restricted. To provide some examples:
>
> 1.A stile next to a locked vehicular gate (a public footpath goes
> along an otherwise private track)
> 2. A locked vehicular gate with adjacent gap for
> cyclists/pedestrians (A cycle route with a gate allowing maintenance
> vehicles).
> 3. A cattle grid on a road, with adjacent gate to
> allow pedestrians/equestrians to bypass it
>
> In all these cases is it best to divide the highway into separate
> ways at these points and apply the relevant barriers to the separate
> ways?

That is my usual approach, at these points they are separate ways. Then
add the appropriate access tags.

In the case of a cattle grid I would consider the gate as being for
horses, I as a walker tend to walk over the grid, in my nearly 30 years
as a rambler I have never know anyone to open a gate in these cases.

Phil (trigpoint)