> PS: you do illustrate an interesting point wrt the research we are
> discussing here, one would expect an unbiased sample of OSM contributors
> of size 15 to contain zero non-male and zero HOT members obviously the
> composition of the interviewees was rather different.

A uniform random sample is not really relevant in small-numbers
sociological research. This is "snowball sampling" which is a very
problematic form of sampling, but one thing it definitely does not
claim is to be a balanced random sample. A social researcher using
snowball sampling to find a small number of interviewees knows full
well they aren't gathering a statistically random sample, and one
hopes that this researcher tried to find a diversity of viewpoints for
his interviews (I don't know). He could, for example, have
deliberately designed his sample to have almost-equal numbers of men
and women.

Best
Dan