Hi,

Following on from the recent topic regarding 1900 historical footpath data, I'd
like to clarify exactly what we can and can't do currently with the council
RoWs if possible.

As I have already suggested I have a possible plan to develop a platform ("Find
the Footpaths") to help collect both RoWs for OSM and to identify some of the
"lost" RoWs ready for the 2026 deadline. This would show existing OSM footpaths
in a strong colour, undesignated OSM paths (i.e. no designation tag) in a
transparent grey (or similar) and council RoW data (downloaded from rowmaps and
added to a local database) shown in thin coloured lines.

So which of the following can you, and can't you do? I have what I think are
the answers here.

a) Copy designation status from council data to OSM?

- Generally no, but depends on the license provided by the specific council.

b) Trace an entire RoW from the council data onto OSM?

- Generally no, and not recommended anyway as the path on the ground maybe
different to the council data, or the council data might be wrong.

Is this correct?

Are there any specific licenses where task a) and/or b) are definitely OK?

Thhanks,

Nick

Nick Whitelegg
Senior Lecturer in Computing (Internet)  | School of Media Arts and Technology
Southampton Solent University  | RM424 | East Park Terrace | Southampton SO14
0YN
T: 023 8201 3075 | E:
nick.whitel...@solent.ac.uk<mailto:nick.whitel...@solent.ac.uk> | W:
solent.ac.uk<http://www.solent.ac.uk/>