Hi

After many discussions over the years about the referencing of 'C' class roads there appeared to be a general consensus to keep them in the database but provide a unique tag to allow them not to be rendered.

This is a list of the discussions (there maybe others):
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-gb/2011-May/011632.html
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-gb/2013-March/014555.html
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-gb/2013-April/014788.html
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-gb/2014-August/016392.html
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-gb/2015-May/017390.html
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-gb/2015-May/017414.html

However this task was never undertaken. I decided to grab the bull by the horns.

I used variations of this Overpass query within JOSM to find the numerous 'C' refs keys (listed below) tagged to the different road classification. I uploaded in batches split by geography &/or tag values to make it easier for me to verify I used detailed changeset descriptions to make it easier to rectify if needed. If you spot any errors please let me know.

[maxsize:2073741824];
area(id:3600058447,3600058437,3600058446); // England, Wales, Scotland
//[bbox:{{bbox}}];
  way[highway=*highway classification"][~ref~"^C[0-9]{1,4}$"] (area);
//out tags;
//out center;
(._;>;); out meta;

*Various keys used for 'C' refs:
(listed most popular down)
* ref
official_ref
admin_ref
admin:ref
wcc_ref
highway_ref
designation
offical_ref
int_ref
unsigned_ref
reference
local_ref

*Highway classes with 'C' refs:*
**(listed most popular down)**
tertiary (+_link)
unclassified
trunk (+_link)
residential (error?)
service (error?)
pedestrian (error? Roads converted to pedestrian, but still classified?)
track (error/prow_ref?)
secondary (+_link)
primary

I've amended them to *'highway_authority_ref*'. It was discussed in the May '15 thread where it was felt official_ref or admin_ref wasn't specific enough. Feel free to discuss here if you have strong objections to it. If there's a consensus to change it's quite easy now they're all under a single tag.

Note I didn't include Northern Ireland as I'm unsure whether they're signed on the ground or not. Is anyone able to verify?

These are the trunk, primary & secondary roads which previously either had a ref or highway_authority_ref:
http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/AM7

Similarly these are the pedestrian, service, residential & track
http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/AM8

These still have 'ref' tags: proposed, abandoned, construction, path, footway & cycleway; possibly copy paste errors or should be prow_ref?:
http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/AMc

Please amend if you have local knowledge & believe any of the above are an error.

Cheers
DaveF