Hi,

The effort has not been undone - the data is still there in OSM, and
certainly usable. The issue is how to come to a community consensus
(across UK-based OSM community) in how to tag those refs, so let's try
to join the discussions all together. The previous discussion seems to
me level-headed, and it'd be useful to hear your arguments added to
it.

It's tricky with OSM because no-one really has ownership over any
particular aspect of tagging schema, even if they develop software
and/or perform mapping which relies heavily on certain data layouts.
It's a living beast. I guess data consumers would often have a
tweakable mapping from OSM into their own use-case.

Best
Dan