On 19/09/2018 16:57, Steve Doerr wrote:
On 19/09/2018 16:04, Andrew Black wrote:

I live in London. The place I live in has been inb the county of London since 1889. But the traditional county beast says I live in Surrey.

Then you will be familiar with the annual boat race between Oxford and Cambridge universities, at the start of which they toss a coin to decide who will row from the 'Surrey station' and who from the 'Middlesex station'. These counties still have cultural significance today.

Just because the sides are named after former counties doesn't mean those counties still exist. The Isle of Ely doesn't exist as a current administrative boundary any more either, but that doesn't stop several organisations based in the area it used to cover having that phrase in their name. Including, appropriately in this context, the Isle of Ely Rowing Club :-)

Mark