TonyS wrote:
> Lot of the obscurity is caused by the contracts from Department
> For Transport. Merseyrail is both a train operating company
> and a commuter rail network in and around Liverpool City Region

Indeed, and it's actually even more nuanced than that.

Merseyrail is not a franchise like, say, Chiltern Railways or GWR or Virgin.
It's a concession. In other words, the operation is directed by Merseytravel
(the publicly owned transport authority); day-to-day running is carried out
by the concession holders, Serco/Abellio; and the publicly owned Merseyrail
brand is used.

This means that there is a distinct identity to Merseyrail stations and
services, just as there is with London Overground (the only other such
concession). They are not, primarily, directed by the Department for
Transport.

With this in mind, I agree that network=Merseyrail is entirely justifiable.
(For Lime Street you'd probably want the high-level station as
network=National Rail, the low-level as Merseyrail; for other stations where
non-Merseyrail services also call, you might want semicolon-separated
values.)

Richard

--
Sent from: http://gis.19327.n8.nabble.com/Great-Britain-f5372682.html