On 12/12/2018 23:11, ael wrote:

This is perhaps slightly off topic, but this habit of some of sharing
nodes causes me many problems. When I am updating roads and other
features from fairly accurate gps surveys, I often find the I have all
these tangled boundaries about which I know little. It is a huge pain
to duplicate nodes to separate ways before I can adjust just the feature
that I have surveyed. I confess that my patience often runs out, and I
just drag the other stuff along with my updates, thinking that the
mappers who shared the nodes in the first place get what they deserve
:-).

I agree. I tried to fix the outline of a park that's just down the road from me. It's clearly incorrect when viewed on the satellite view in the editor, and I thought it would be a relatively simple task of dragging the nodes to match reality. But it turns out that the nodes down one side are shared with a river that's adjacent to the park, and down another side with a road that is almost, but not quite, directly adjacent to the park. Sharing nodes with that road makes the park look bigger than it actually is, and, more importantly, makes a building that, in reality, is on the boundary of the park appear to be wholly within it. I thought I could simply drag the nodes to the correct position, but I can't without also moving the road, which would be equally incorrect.

It would make far more sense if the boundaries of the park were a single set of nodes and ways not shared with any other object. When I've got considerably more tuits to spare I may just do that - delete the park completely and then recreate it from scratch as a new object with its own nodes and ways. But, at the moment, I don't really have the time. So I've left it, and it continues to irritate me every time I look at it on the map :-)

Mark