Hi Jez,

These things are much talked about in OSM, but relatively rarely moved to a
point of real usability. I went to a really interesting talk at SotM-10
with lots of good ideas, but years later when I looked at their target city
there was nary a trace of actual mapping.

Even for step counts I'm not aware of any applications which do
reduced-step as opposed to step-free routing (unless Richard does something
in cycle.travel where a flight of 10 steps may be acceptable compared with
a kilometre detour). Part of the problem here is that often the precise
number of steps which are acceptable will depend on each individual.
However, mapping step counts is easy, everyone is likely to come to a
similar result.

Off the top of my head things which should be relatively easy to capture
and fit in OSM :

   - Steps & step counts on stairs . Either map individual flights of
   stairs separately or include some indication of how many steps there are on
   each flight. If one has to use stairs, the ability to take a breather can
   mean that 2 flights of 20 steps are easier than 1 of 30.
   - Presence of handrails on stairs
   - Atypical steps (e.g., a footpath with 1 or 2 steps every 20 metres or
   so; or ones where the individual treads are long (came across one of these
   at Birkenhead Park station & there's no lift).
   - Steeper inclines on footways/pedestrianised streets
   - Dropped kerbs (it's actually quite hard to identify properly flush
   ones, and hitting something which is just slightly proud of the line can
   jolt a wheelchair)
   - Refuge islands for pedestrian crossings
   - Unmarked crossings (often identified by dropped kerbs and perhaps a
   refuge)
   - Wheelchair access to amenities & shops (best done by a wheelchair
   user, but could be done with a tape measure for all entrances which are not
   flush). Also it's quite likely that dedicated wheelchair ramps may not have
   been mapped in the first pass.
   Do amenities/shops which have a step to gain entrance have a) a ramp or
   b) an alternative means of egress. Asking about this could be a good way to
   tell them about simple metal/fibre-glass movable ramps.
   - Pedestrian safety barriers (as these may restrict viable places to
   cross roads (not important if one solely allows ped. crossings for routing).
   - Lifts in shopping centres & other locations (e.g, railway stations).
   - Seating at bus stops

At some stage the issue of whether to map pavements (sidewalks) separately
will arise. If pavements are to be mapped separately they need to be done
systematically in any one area : incomplete mapping can cause problems with
many existing applications, particularly those which do routing (e.g.,
Traveline SouthEast). This may be a suitable case for using something like
Tasking Manager: I can set up a project if needed as I have kindly been
given rights to do on the instance supported by the Swiss OSM community.

I've spent about 3 hours in total mapping the town centre of Stockport in
2015 and 2016, so I have a bit of local knowledge. I've also mapped stuff
along the A516 to the Tameside boundary, but not really elsewhere in the
Borough. As elsewhere in NW England it is not mapped as intensively as
other places. It certainly has plenty of steps, steep pedestrian routes
right in the middle of the town. A cursory check suggests that improving
the mapping of railway stations would probably be useful, for instance the
current mapping of Brinnington doesn't accord with the statement that it is
not accessible on this forum
<https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/greater-manchester-wheelchair-access-at-stations.156665/>
.

I probably have a couple of hundred photos, but Bing StreetSide is
available for the area (albeit 2012) and shows enough detail to be useful
as here <https://binged.it/2LYzEvO> with the steps up from Little Underbank
towards the Market. Capturing more recent imagery for Mapillary would also
certainly help. The town centre is not so big as to be unmanageable. I
don't have any idea of that status of other local centres.

One project which is worth mentioning is OpenSidewalks
<https://www.opensidewalks.com/>, which had some impact in the US. I don't
know what it's current status might be.

Jerry