I got in touch with Chris Crocker who is listed on the DoBIH homepage as a
contact (and as it turns out is a very friendly and knowledgeable person).
I'm quoting here his initial response (with permission to share it) to
further discussion:

We would be happy to see DoBIH data used in OpenStreetMap. One of the
> motivations behind the creation of the DoBIH in 2001 was to resolve
> conflicting sources of information on the web by providing a database that
> we hoped would be definitive. We've had some success as two-thirds of
> hillwalking websites and all the current smartphone apps take data from the
> DoBIH.
>
> I don't have a problem with signing your document but I'll run it past the
> other editors.
>
> I don't believe you need any other permissions to use data from the DoBIH.
> OS maps, being creative works, are subject to Crown copyright and OS
> requires an acknowledgement for their reuse, but I have always understood
> that heights and grid references are scientific fact and as such are not
> copyrightable. Certainly there are hundreds of commercial publications in
> the hillwaking world that tabulate such data. None of those that I've read
> do more than mention OS maps as the source of their data. The OS data we
> use is derived from the maps on geograph.org.uk which gives OS mapping at
> all scales from 1:250,000 to 1:10,000. According to the site the Geograph
> maps are licensed under the OS OpenSpace Developer Agreement. I note that
> your Contributors page credits Ordnance Survey OpenData. Other heights and
> grid references are derived from the Environmental Agency's LIDAR surveys
> which are freely available on the DEFRA platform, from detailed hill
> surveys conducted by ourselves and third parties who supply data to us, and
> from numerous walkers who submit 10-figure grid references (these are
> responsible for over 60% of summit GRs). We acknowledge all sources and
> contributors in the Database Notes as you have observed.
>
> You might have noticed that our popular Hill Bagging website, which hosts
> the interactive version of the database, recently added links to OSM on
> each hill's data page. See for example
> http://www.hill-bagging.co.uk/mountaindetails.php?qu=S&rf=278
>
> I expect the DoBIH could contribute much to OSM, but personally I am too
> busy maintaining the DoBIH to do so myself! I probably speak for the other
> editors too. I believe one of our users, who goes under the name of
> Talkytoaster
> on your forum, has contributed to OSM for many years.

Regards