I haven't seen such guidelines for the UK myself. In general people prefer
having address tags on buildings. Separate address points are more of a stop
gap solution until building shapes are sufficiently accurate.

An exception is addresses on entrances, which some mappers seem to prefer. I
can simply avoid such areas.

Some clarifications:
- Code-Point Open contains only one data entry (point) per postcode. It is
located near the centroid and snapped to a nearest building (technically
delivery point). So the scope is fairly small.
- This is automatic editing, not an import. I can skip areas that use different
addressing conventions. There is still over a hundred thousands of simple cases
that can save a lot of manual work.
- I ignore postcodes that are already in OSM near that location. So it is an
additive process (no changes or deletions)
- Manual methods are not perfect either, due to Code-Point Open limitations.
But it is still the only legal source of postcodes in bulk we have (licensed by
the owner).

Best regards,
ndrw6