On 21/10/2019 10:53, Mateusz Konieczny wrote:

21 Oct 2019, 11:46 by bpran...@gmail.com:

    Hi everyone

    So  far according tothe taginfo script we've managed to ADD 415
    fixmes and remove 84 FIXMEs. I don't have data yet on OSM Notes.
    Don't know what's going on here with the increase when the aim of
    the project is to reduce the numbers by fixing the issues
    indicated nad thereby improve the qualit yof the data.

In my typical mapping surveys, even targeted at fixing fixmes and closing notes I often add more
than close.

Same here.  To add to what Mateusz has already said, all notes and fixmes are not alike though - what was originally one note "all the shops are missing here" might become two for two bits of minor details that need checking, after adding all the rest.

I would also compare with previous months - maybe previously people were adding say 400 fixmes/month
and removing 10/month?

I don't have data for the whole UK, but do have numbers for "OSM notes" and "fixme tags" for a couple of areas going back at least a couple of years.  If people are interested I could pull the numbers together.

    Should we be converting fixmes to OSM Notes -will this give the
    occasional mapper more chance of seeing them and adding detail or
    fixing them?

Please no!  We already see examples of people closing notes because they don't want them to "clutter them map" and there have been "notes wars" in a couple of places around the world.

A significant number (probably most?) OSM notes and fixme tags need local knowledge or an on-the-ground survey, so an occasional mapper simply isn't going to be able to resolve them.  A mapper who is visiting somewhere new and actively wants to look for OSM notes and fixme tags can do that already, however they are represented.

Where it probably isn't worth adding fixme tags would be just drawing attention to some other missing data.  For example, a few years ago every house in Reading* had "fixme=add precise address" on it, which meant that to get a useful list of things that needed fixing there you had to explicitly filter those out to get a list, and then add one more item "collect housenumbers".  The same issue with OSM notes would be even more of a problem given that OSM notes are more visible than fixme tags.

Best Regards,

Andy

* See https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/98977855/history for an example.  It's worth noting that the house numbers and later postcodes did get added - you'd need to ask the person who did that whether the "fixme" tag was a factor here.  They certainly deserve a big pat on the back for adding all that data.