Hi,

Firstly, Tony, I think 9-4 is Anderton and 9-1 is Adlington.

As part of the original FOI/EIR/Re-use request for the GIS dataset, I also
requested (and was supplied) the council's scanned copies of the Definitive
Statements along with permission to use them under the OGL. They appear to
be complete as of when they were scanned (Early 2000s) but don't include
any subsequent modification orders (like many councils Lancs don't
frequently update the Map/Statement themselves, the documents have to be
read in conjunction with any relevant modification orders)..  If Tony or
anyone else is interested in the Statements I can send a download link. If
anybody knows anywhere where they could be hosted to be publicly accessible
in the long term then that would be great. With the statements the Council
also supplied and OGL licensed scans of the county's surviving original
parish survey cards which were used as part of the process for drawing up
the draft definitive maps/statements. The same applies to these (though
beware that these only cover a fraction of the County (the Rural Districts
of Lancaster, Fylde, Wigan, West Lancs and Chorley).

The paper Definitive Maps and Statements for Lancashire don't go as far as
naming the paths or supplying a definitive reference and as Robert
suspected I've not seen any pre-digitisation records which use anything
like 9-4-5. Parishes are not numbered on either the map or Statement. Paths
are numbered individually and colour coded by status on the maps. The
format varied over time but most of the statements are tabulated by (named)
parish with column headings 'path number', 'kind of path', 'position',
'length', 'any other particulars', there is no section for path name or
reference, though where the statement for one path it refers to another
path it is usually in the form of parish, path type, path number.

Whilst there is a pretty much de facto standard when discussing rights of
way to use the format parish, path type (often abbreviated), path no., I'm
really not sure we need to be overly bothered about the (perceived)
formatting preference of each county (I've never heard of a coucnil
actually having a preference on path referencing format). In this context
differences in formatting don't change the meaning 'Rivington FP3' is
synonymous with 'Rivington Footpath 3', is synonymous with 'Public Footpath
Number 3 in the Parish of Rivington'. It is much more meaningful to have
national consistency than to slavishly following what we imagine to be the
formatting preference of each individual authority.

Kind regards,

Adam