On Fri, Jan 31, 2020 at 12:35:35AM +0000, Andy Townsend wrote:
> On 30/01/2020 18:58, ael wrote:
> > On Thu, Jan 30, 2020 at 06:14:44PM +0000, Martin Wynne wrote:
> > > -- even if it is, highway=layby appears to be an abandoned proposal:
> > >
> > >   https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Lay-by
>
> That was a proposal for "highway=layby".  "layby" does get used as a value:
>
> https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org.uk/search?q=layby#values
>
> but parking=layby is the most common tag/value combination for it in the UK.
>
> > Well, I call them (informal) laybys, and they are far too important to
> > miss off the map.
> >
> > Layby is the obvious UK term, so I use
> > highway=rest_area
> > rest_area=layby.

OK. I agree that parking=layby is much better. I use josm and that is
not offered in the presets. And the josm validator objects. For lack of
time I just 'enhanced' the nearest offer: rest_area.
But now I have just retagged a couple as parking=layby.
I just have to remember to override josm each time, or I might get
around to a bug report...

> > I did wonder about attaching a screenshot from the gps-dashcam footage
> > of that road, but it is nearly 300K and would probably be rejected by
> > the list software, and maybe a bit antisocial for those with limited
> > bandwidth...
>
> The usual option there is "stick it somewhere and link to it", I guess.

I know, I know. I even have a proper open source place to put such
things, but I have not used it before, and time is limited. I must
really have a look when I have a moment. It wasn't as if the screenshot
was very important.

Thanks again for drawing attention to parking=layby. I am prretty sure
that I used to use the regularly a few years ago.

ael