On 03/04/2020 09:27, Robert Whittaker (OSM lists) wrote:

There will presumably be a drive in government circles to store
addresses as UPRN's, and then fetch the associated location and
address data from AddressBase. Assuming Rob's interpretation is
correct (I think it probably is) then this could be bad new for
sources of addresses and postcodes for OSM. While we'll be more easily
able to geo-locate objects from their URPN's, the actual addresses in
any datasets will become more likely to be contaminated by OS's IP
rights in AddressBase.

In the long run, I suspect this could actually spell the end for postal addresses (as distinct from geographic addresses). If every property has a published, unique number, analogous to a telephone number, then all that's necessary for, say, Amazon to deliver a package to me is for them to know the UPRN of my house. Their routing software will then do all the heavy lifting of plotting how to get the package from their depot to my door.

Mark