On Thu, 16 Apr 2020 at 15:34, Nick Whitelegg
<nick.whitel...@solent.ac.uk> wrote:
> I wasn't familiar with the situation in Dorset but MapThePaths uses the 'SE
> 4/22' scheme (actually it appears as 'SE 4 22') so if people want to use MTP
> as a source for prow_refs, then that would be the format to use.

In general, I think that tools (mine included) should follow agree
tagging, rather than the tagging following the tools.

> In terms of how I arrive at the references, I sourced the data from the
> rowmaps site and applied a script which looked for a particular field (I
> forget its name) in the rowmaps data. This is done consistently across all
> counties.

Unfortunately, my experience of the rowmaps data itself is that it's
not really consistent in what it puts in its fields. (That's not
rowmap's fault though -- Barry is just using whatever formats arrive
in the data his tool consumes.

> I don't really mind too much what people use to be honest, obviously
> something like 'Studland FP 1' or similar would be more descriptive, but
> would require an extra step to look up the parish name.
>
> Maybe we should develop some sort of (crowd-sourced?) service which looks up
> parishes based on parish codes to allow easy contribution of descriptive
> prow_refs?

I've started an effort in that direction at
https://osm.mathmos.net/prow/ref-formats/ . For each county in the
list there's a regular expression for parsing the prow_ref tag, and a
printf format for outputting a prow_ref tag from structured data. This
is then what my PRoW tool uses internally. I'm in the process of
adding the parish name/id lookup tables that I've collected to this
page. There's a JSON feed with the data to make it easier for others
to use it too.

> On the other hand some counties do not use parish refs at all in hhe number,
> though they do mention them in the full ref (e.g. FERNHURST 1254). The
> Chichester district of West Sussex (not OGL, by the way - unfortunately from
> my POV as it's an area I'm interested in) appears to use a simple number for
> all PROW refs, ranging from about 1-3500. This is not consistent in a given
> parish, e.g. numbers between 1200-1299 appear to be spread between Fernhurst,
> Lynchmere and Milland parishes.

Warwickshire is a bit like this too. It seems they numbered their
Rights of Way within each former district/borough. When this happens,
in my tool I treat these areas as "parishes". See e.g.
https://osm.mathmos.net/prow/progress/warks/north-warks/atherstone-rural-district/

Best wishes,

Robert.

--