Hi

That could be a good idea.

How about barrier=modal_filter? Using barrier=* we might expect it to
be on the barrier itself (e.g. a row of bollards/planters), perhaps
less appropriate if a whole street area with camera-based enforcement.
But, after all, they're all intended as a barrier to some forms of
traffic.

In what sense is traffic_restriction "taken"? I see there are plenty
of "traffic_restriction=no_stopping" tagged. Could this sit alongside?

BTW, according to taginfo, in the UK there are 4 "modal_filter=yes"
and various notes/descriptions mentioning "modal" that could be a good
way to find examples:
https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org.uk/search?q=modal#keys

Best
Dan