> Unless there is a sign saying "unsuitable for pedestrians, horses, and
> vehicles", or similar, I would say "access=discouraged" violates "do not tag
> for the renderer".  The wiki specifically says that an official sign is
> required before using "access=discouraged".

There is a sign:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross_Bay_Walk#/media/File:Cross_Bay_Walk_Warning.jpg
 though I'm unsure on how "official" that is. It doesn't have the city/county
council logo on it, for example. But the city council does discourage the use
of the route without a guide on their website:
https://www.lancaster.gov.uk/environmental-health/health-and-safety/cross-bay-walks-guidance-for-walkers-and-organisers

(sorry - I seem to have derailed the original topic).