Hi,
I tend to think of tagging more in terms of 'who will use this?' I know
my local area extremely well, so I map it as best I can using tags that
will make sense to anyone visiting the area. When I'm away from home I
use OSM extensively to find things, and hope that the local mappers are
using a universal scheme so that it will work for me.
I've travelled on roads in Portugal, Spain an parts of Africa which
dont have a surface such as tarmac (tarmacadam / asphalt) or concrete,
but instead have been built with a top coating similar to clay, which
is compressed and then smoothed using a grader. Particularly in
Portugal, at the time I drove on them, these 'unsurfaced' roads were so
good that they were better than the (at that time) M25 which was full
of pot-holes and difficult to drive safely on.
Although https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Highways is the obvious
choice to look at, I actually find that
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Highway_Tag_Africa explains it
better.