> On 15 Dec 2020, at 14:35, Robert Skedgell <r...@hubris.org.uk> wrote:
>
> If 1057 is used on a carriageway
> rather than on a lane or track, it presumably indicates a route,
> although TSRGD 2016 does not elaborate upon this - is there an LTN which
> does?

Not by any means.  1057’s are the ‘go-to’ way to DO SOMETHING for traffic
engineers.

- Cyclists getting hit by cars at a junction? Paint some 1057s across it ‘to
alert drivers that there may be cyclists there” (though of course drivers
should be conscious that there could be cyclists on any road)

- can’t work out how to get cyclists around a bus stop or parked car? Paint a
1057 to indicate road position.

OSM Wiki Cycle_routes <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Cycle_routes>

"Cycle routes or bicycle route are named or numbered or otherwise signed route”

I would argue that a ‘route’ marked with nothing but 1057 symbols is not useful
in any way and doesn’t meet that definition

I have similar issues with London’s Q network - sections of un-numbered
quietway.  However, these should indicate a certain level of service - ie that
they meet TfL s quality criteria in terms of traffic volumes etc - but also
have a point.  Q sections are supposed to be feeders for the strategic cycle
network of QW and CS routes - ie follow a Q and you should soon get to a main,
destination signposted, route.  (though again, naming and numbering being
revised and all routes that meet *latest* quality standards will be C numbered)