On 2020-12-21 13:01, Alan Mackie wrote:

> I struggle with what to call the <BuildingName> in that example.
>
> A recent suggestion for named terraces was to use addr:street=<TerraceName>
> and addr:parentstreet=<StreetName>, but if the <HouseNumber> relates the
> whole building to to parentstreet, then reconstructing an address seems
> impossible.
>
> The closest existing tag seems to be add:housename=<BuildingName>, but I
> don't know if that stretches the definition too much.

That will cause problems if the constituent parts (flats, houses in a
terrace etc) have a "name" instead of a number. Royal Mail say that a
house number must be numeric, and anything else (like Rose Cottage, 7A,
3-7, 11/13 etc) should go in the house name field. The OSM Wiki allows
non-numeric values though for some cases.

> [...]
>> that the Post Town is intended to be a nearby significant place (to
>> help with delivery routing and identifying the rough location of the
>> addressed property) rather than being a place that the address is
>> "in", then it's really no more of a fiction than the postcode. (The
>> village I grew up in had a GL postcode, despite it being in
>> Worcestershire. I've currently got an IP postcode, despite being in
>> Norfolk and closer to Norwich (NR) than Ipswich.)
>>
>> On the basis that it's a required part of each address, I would
>> recommend that we do store the post town in OSM addresses. There are
>> significant advantages to storing it in a consistent way, and the best
>> existing tag to do this would be addr:city. (We wouldn't want to
>> invent a new tag (e.g. addr:posttown), since as a UK-only term that
>> will simply be ignored by most international data consumers.
>>
>> We then have a possible hierarchy of named localities between the
>> street and the post town to record as part of the address. I would
>> suggest using appropriate values from the set {addr:hamlet,
>> addr:village, addr:town, addr:suburb}. (I don't see any other
>> alternatives to this.) Most of these key names already have a
>> reasonable number of uses in OSM (addr:town is the lowest, but that
>> still has 59k uses), so it seems that others are doing this too.
>>
>> Regarding properties (e.g. on named terraces or sub-streets), where
>> there are two street names (Thoroughfare and Dependent Throughourfare
>> in Rail Mail terminology) then we need a second key to store the other
>> street name under. Certainly if there is an addr:housenumber or
>> addr:housename, I think we need to use addr:street for the
>> street/terrace name on which that name or number applies. Otherwise,
>> software that's unaware of the second key name will think it's house
>> number n on the main street not the sub-street. There are already
>> about 3.5k uses of addr:parentstreet in OSM, so I'd recommend using
>> that for the main street, and addr:street for the terrace or
>> sub-street name. If any data-users aren't aware of addr:parentstreet
>> it's not a major issue, since it will still pick up the correct
>> terrace/sub-street name, and the locality, which will probably be
>> enough to use as an address.
>>
>> I would strongly argue against using addr2 in connection with
>> sub-streets, as it's not standardised, and is likely to not be picked
>> up by any software. There's an abondoned proposal at
>> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/addr2 [1], but that
>> was for the case of a single property on a street corner having two
>> formal addresses, one on each street, not for the case of two streets
>> in a hierarchy.
>>
>> Robert.
>>
>> On Sun, 20 Dec 2020 at 12:47, Dave Abbott <dave.abb...@pandaemonia.org>
>> wrote:
>>> I am trying to make sure I tag addresses correctly. I am currently
>>> trying to understand how to map in my area.

>>> Smalltown
>>> Largertown
>>> West Yorks XY9 7GY
>>>
>>> Smalltown is geographically separate to Largertown, which however is the
>>> Postal Town. Omitting Smalltown from the address is probably correct
>>> postally-speaking, but local residents would object as Smalltown is seen
>>> as completely separate to other places under the same Postal Town.
>>>
>>> Currently tagging as -
>>> addr:housenumber=99
>>> addr:street=Postal Street
>>> addr:city=Smalltown, Largertown
>>>
>>> But I am pretty sure this is wrong.
>>>
>>> There is a page at
>>> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Rjw62/UK_Address_Mapping [2]which
>>> mentions "suggested tags" but there is no evidence that this is in use.
>>> If correct I would be tagging as -
>>>
>>> addr:housenumber=99
>>> addr:street=Postal Street
>>> addr:town=Smalltown
>>> addr:city=Largertown
>>>
>>> Hoping someone can advise me as to the correct way to tag for the UK...
>>>
>>> Dave Abbott  (OSM user DaveyPorcy)

>> --
>> Robert Whittaker

Links: