Below is paraphrased (and a little extended) from the general introduction in
the Place-names of Northern Ireland series published by the Northern Ireland
Place-name Project, Department of Celtic, Queen’s University Belfast

Earliest place names are found in mainly Irish language material, sometimes in
Latin, from 7th or 8th centuries. This is them written for the first time -
they are much older than that. The Irish Annals, started about 550AD, had many
place names particularly of tribes, settlements and topographical features.
Some of the legends recorded in the Annals give explanations of place names.
For example, the triumphal charge around Ireland of the Brown Bull at the end
of the Tain Bo Cuillaigne is said to have generated many names. The
townland/region of Athlone or Áth Luain was named from the loins (luan) of the
White-horned bull that the Brown Bull killed there. Some must be very ancient.
A number relate to Maeve, who originated as a Mother Earth fertility god. There
is Ballypitmaeve, close to Glenavy in Co.Antrim, for instance, where the
fertility reference is very clear.

We cannot know how old townland names are, but it is clear that they are very
ancient, and they were present, and probably already very old when written
records began in Ireland. Incidentally, it is ironic that it took the
Plantation in the 17th Century to gather the names in a systematic way. It is
also curious that, while Sir William Petty, who surveyed much of Ireland, said
that Irish place names were ‘uncouth and unintelligible’ and that ‘where they
cannot be abolished’, they should be translated into English, the planters in
most cases retained the original names.