Hey all,
I just wanted to add a few things although I am not that active on OSM
these days.
The National Monuments Service seems to have open data available that
includes ringforts and similar structures. I am not sure about the
licence compatibility and mass importing and all that This could be a
way to get the majority of ringforts into OSM considering the large
number of forts. Also, the naming schemes they use are somewhat
official, I suppose, and should guide OSM tagging schemes to
distinguish different types of forts (distinguishing between cashels,
earthworks, and raths), but I am not sure how that translates into OSM
tagging. To be honest, importing this data is a massive job if you
also want to consider the other archaeological structures, but in OSM
features are supposed to be visible landmarks.
https://data.gov.ie/dataset/national-monuments-service-archaeological-survey-of-ireland
Here's an extract of that data:
Enclosure
Children's burial ground
Enclosure
Castle - unclassified
Bee-boles
Gateway (present location)
Earthwork
Castle - unclassified
Mound
Enclosure
Enclosure
Ringfort - cashel
Ringfort - cashel
Children's burial ground
Ritual site - holy well
Standing stone
Earthwork
Castle - tower house

What are Bee-boles anyway? .... Ahhh
(https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Bee_bole)...sorry.
Anyway, I agree with the tagging scheme in Colm's email for generic
ringforts that an OSM user might want to add. I think it is best to
not worry about distinguishing ringforts too much at this early stage.

Brian T