Oct 30, 2020, 14:51 by colmmoor...@hotmail.com:

> Hi,
>
> Apologies to the list and Mateusz for the confusion. :) Also apologies if I
> step on religious toes.
>
>> From: Mateusz Konieczny <matkoni...@tutanota.com>
>> Subject: Re: [OSM-talk-ie] religion=* and denomination=*
>>
>> Disclaimer: I never visited Ireland
>>
>> 27 paź 2020, 14:41 od colmmoor...@hotmail.com:
>>
>> > 3. Holy wells, mass rocks and the like. These are predominantly Roman
>> > Catholic, but possibly with pagan origins.
>>
>> Are they still used by pagans/new age people? For OSM purposes current usage
>> matters, not origins.
>>

> I concur that current usage matters. I suppose I'm wondering what the other
> tags should be. The below seem inadequate, not least that
> amenity=place_of_worship + religion=christian is interpreted as a church, not
> an open-air location like a Mass Rock (a location where Roman Catholic mass
> was said when Roman Catholicism was suppressed).

amenity=place_of_worship + religion=christian would be perfectly fine tagging
if that is a place
where masses are still conducted.

If it is not such a place - how it is used? Very rare (yearly?) masses?
Occasional worship
(acting as a historic=wayside_shrine)?
Some memorial plaque/tourism information board/tourism attraction?

> name=Holy Well
> natural=spring
> religion=christian
> denomination=roman_catholic

Is it a prayer location? Former prayer location? Tourism attraction? Pilgrimage
target?

> name=Mass Rock
> amenity=place_of_worship
> religion=christian
> denomination=roman_catholic

Maybe disused:amenity=place_of_worship?

If it is an actual rock then tagging rock itself also would be a good idea
(see https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Rock  )

>> > 8. There are religion=no, religion=none and denomination=none tags. Should
>> > these tags be rationalised or otherwise tidied up?
>>
>> How this tags are used?
>>

> Mostly for schools and cemeteries. In some cases, I suspect their use hasn't
> considered all nuances, e.g. some state-owned schools also have religious
> patrons or representation on the school board.

I would say that just religious patron would not make school religious, in the
same way as
it would not make sense to add religion=* to Saint Barbara street, where only
name is
of religious origin.
(though as it turns out many schools in Ireland are actually religious).